- Show Reel
- Current Projects
- Past Projects
- Awards & Nominations
- Tape Life Records
- Resources & Links
An up-to-date video show reel is in the works.
New demos are being edited. Here are some demos from the past.
Demo – Film Composing – Sky Of An Archangel – Short Film
Demo – Film Composing & Sound Design – Stillborn – Short Film
Demo – Film Composing & Sound Design – Algonkin Headwaters – Documentary Short
Demo – Audio Postproduction, Film Composing & Video Production – Various Projects
For a time, Multibeat Creative was making short videos for small businesses. The videos on this page demonstrate voiceover, music composition and all aspects of audio post.
Resume / CV
Download a PDF copy of Karl Mohr’s curriculum vitae.
A tweaker from birth, the first thing Karl Mohr bought with his own money was a graphic equalizer. In 1986, he obtained his first synthesizer, the Yamaha DX100 and a passion for recorded electronic music was ignited. Already working on many student and paid composing projects from 1989-1996, he began the freelance life in 1996 when he met Peter Thillaye and would embark upon a career as a sound designer for film. He later created his own publishing company Multibeat Music in 2005, an umbrella that would expand to include all the activities of his professional life.
At present, Mohr is a sound editor/sound designer/composer for film and new media. He works extensively in digital audio manipulation with workstations, sampling, audio recycling, DSP processes and mastering tools. Studied composition with noteworthy composers: David Keane, Kristi Allik, John Burge, Clifford Crawley, Norman Sherman, Bruno Degazio. (1990-1994). His focus, from 1996-2017, was on sound design for giant screen IMAX films with Thillaye Productions; the resulting credits and awards are extensive. As a composer, his music has forged unique territory, often combining textures and processes from his sound design work. As a sonic sculptor, his work in music mastering and fine music mixing are exquisite.
- upcoming | Matt DeMatteo new projects | music production, instrumental performance, music mixing, music mastering
- ongoing | Brian Asha new EP development | music production, vocal recording, vocal production, instrumental performing, music mixing, music mastering
- ongoing | Gay Travel Podcast | sound supervisor, assistant engineer, podcast editing, podcast mixing
- current | well-known actor | website and IMDB management
- 2020/06/07 | Johnny Hollow re-release of Dead Red Velvet’s remix of “Superhero” | Dead Red Velvet song remix
- date required | new album from Johnny Hollow | Multibeat Creative will be providing music mixing, music mastering, possibly also music production & instrumental performing
- 2017/09/20 | two new singles by Jay Draper, frontman of Toronto band The Scarlet Fever | music mixing, music mastering
- 2017/09/01 | Cinemuskoka 2017 – Muskoka’s Inaugural World Film Festival | cinematic sound design DJ on outdoor stage
- 2017/08/22 | Amazon Adventure, SK Films | Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival, award nomination: Best Soundscape for sound design by Thillaye Productions
- 2017/08/20 | promotional video for Playing With Fire glassblowing studio | video production and direction, video editing, voice recording, music composition, audio postproduction
- 2017/08/15 | Alicia Cinnamon‘s album Queen Of The North | vocal recording, music mixing, music mastering
- 2017/08/01 | Brian Asha single “You And Me Baby” | music mixing, music mastering
- 2017/05/26 | Brian Asha single “Livin’ For Saturday feat. Alicia Cinnamon” | music production, vocal recording, instrumental performance, music mixing, music mastering
- 2017/04/15 | Amazon Adventure, SK Films | sound editing, prep for multi-channel mixing (IMAX Immersive)
- 2017/03/06 | The Trolley That Saves the World, The Stephen Low Company | sound editing, special sound design, panning and prep for multi-channel mixing (IMAX Immersive)
- On-hold music and other assets for a top Asian NVOCC container shipping company
- music production/mixing/mastering for Brian Asha singles
- (TBC) sound editor on IMAX film about the Amazon
- (TBC) sound editor on installation about a major sunk ship at a major Irish museum
- (TBC) music production/mixing/mastering for upcoming Double Eyelid album
- (TBC) assisting in major animation theme song pitch
- company ID song for a top Asian NVOCC container shipping company
- web updates and social network integration for artist Mr. Hydde
- music production/mixing/mastering for Brian Asha single “Living For Saturday”
- 2016/07/26 | major mobile phone ad campaign | music composition, sound design
- 2016/07/20 | Brian Asha singles “You & Me Baby”, “Pleasure Model”, “Caramel”, “Generation Angel” | music production, music mixing, music mastering
- 2016/07/19 | Johnny Hollow music video/short film for Firefly | music mastering
- 2016/07/19 | Johnny Hollow remix EP Mongrel | music mastering
- 2016/07/16 | Johnny Hollow “I Am The Island” and “Bloodsuckers” song remixes (as the artist Dead Red Velvet) | music production, music mix, song remixing
- 2016/06/29 | newleafproject.org | WordPress support
- Slutmother single “Lady Doll” | music mixing, music mastering
- Carrie Beehan new album | music performance, piano & Haken Continuum fingerboard, music recording
- Villain Media’s short horror film Stillborn | music composing, sound design, sound editing, foley, sound recording, re-recording mixing
- TV series Toronah | music composition, music mixing
- IMAX/Disney film about the International Space Station, A Beautiful Planet | special sound effects design, sound editing, audio post production math
- mastered the Double Eyelid compilation Broken Mirror
- created, with Ian Revell, new version of Double Eyelid song “Cold Is Better”
- created song remix for Double Eyelid’s song “Diamond Cutter” (as the artist Dead Red Velvet)
- voice recording/ADR/location recording/sound editing & design/re-recording mix on Jennifer Linton’s Toronto Alice stop motion animation short
- creating remix kits and live backing tracks for Johnny Hollow A Collection of Creatures
- creating remix kits for Double Eyelid Seven Years
- voiceover talent and audio production on radio adverts and radio show content for Today Is Magical show on Harmony Radio
- audiovisual documentation of Peterborough Human Society Gala (with the Fivetomidnight crew)
- music mastering on Johnny Hollow’s remix of Canadian opera singer Measha Brueggergosman’s recording of “Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child”
- created commissioned remix of Canadian opera singer Measha Brueggergosman’s recording of “Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child” promoting the premiere of Songs of Freedom, a 90-minute film, 4-part TV series, interactive website and mobile application.
- music mixing/mastering on The Scarlet Fever, three additional bonus tracks from the Collider album project
- created remix kits for Double Eyelid Seven Years
- re-recording mixing/sound editing on television series Too Much Information for Super Sonics Post Production (39 episodes)
- music vocal production/mixing/mastering on The Scarlet Fever‘s sophomore album Collider
- music composing/sound editing & design/foley artist/re-recording mixing on J.L. Munce‘s nature doc Algonquin Headwaters
- vocal production/mixing/mastering on Burn Oxygen’s new album The Lens
- music production/vocal production/guitar performance/mixing/mastering on Double Eyelid debut album release, Seven Years
- music mixing/mastering on The Roncy Boys debut four-song EP release, It’s Time!
- music mixing/mastering for Dean Hayze single “Lose Me”
- music edit/re-recording mix on Scarlet Fever Indiegogo video pitch
- location sound recordist/re-recording mixing on Scarlet Fever “Claim To Faim” live performance video
- sound editing on Wonders of the Arctic 3D IMAX (Thillaye Productions)
- sound design/6-channel mix preparation on IMAX Madagascar, Island of Lemurs (Thillaye Productions)
- sound design/6-channel mix preparation on Flight of the Butterflies, IMAX 3D (Thillaye Productions)
- sound editing/6-channel mix preparation on IMAX Jerusalem (Thillaye Productions)
- conforming audio for recent language versions of IMAX Rescue 3D (Thillaye Productions)
- special effects sound design/mix for Jappeloup feature film (Les Productions Audio FX, Montreal)
- juror for the 2013 DGC Awards, in the category of Sound Editing
- voiceover & narration recording/sound editing & design/music production/re-recording mixing for Agency2Video video campaigns
- sound recording, edit, mix for Elizabeth Fearon‘s short film Run
- music recording/mix/mastering for Johnny Hollow A Collection of Creatures
- vocal recording/mixing for top Canadian soprano Kristin Mueller-Heaslip‘s vocal composition “Jehanne”
- music development/vocal production/mixing/mastering on Brian Asha debut album
- music production/vocal production/mixing/mastering on Double Eyelid “Dead Is Better” video single
- music mixing/mastering for New Wild West album from Drums & Machines (Halifax)
- recording rap & singing vocals for Jazmine Morningstar
- recording rap & singing vocals for Emilia Saleh
- song remix of “Superhero” for Johnny Hollow featured in IndieGoGo campaign
- song remix for Brett Gleason
- song remix for Istvan Kantor
- video production for Today Is Magical theta healing
- video production for Terminal Barbershop
- video production for Playing With Fire glass workshops
- 2013/04/11 | IMAX Madagascar Island Of Lemurs | Sound editing, music editing
- 2013/10/24 | IMAX Wonders Of The Arctic 3D | Picture version logging, EDL cleaning, guidetrack breakup, conforming stems, Virtual Katy
- 2011, summer, sound editing/design on Rocky Mountain Express IMAX.
- 2010, film sound design on IMAX films: Born To Be Wild 3D, Legends of Flight, Hubble 3D, The Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D, Under the Sea 3D.
- 2011, summer, mix/master Canada Council jazz demo for singer Sarah Jerrom.
- 2011, summer, song placement in Ecstasy, sequel to Irvine Welsh’s Trainspotting.
- 2011, autumn, record/edit/mix/master on Brian Johnson song “I’m A Man”.
- 2010, summer, record/edit/mix/master on Dead Red Velvet “Full Moon Film” CD.
- 1996-2011, award-winning sound design on many IMAX films such as Jane Goodall’s Wild Chimpanzees, Nascar 3D, Bears, Gold Fever, Wolves, Wildfire: Feel the Heat, Cyberworld, Up Up and Away, Volcanoes of the Deep Sea, Galapagos, Mark Twain’s America, House Guests, Nutcracker, Mission to Mir, Cosmic City.
- IMAX film production audio sleuthing using deep film math and databases for reconstructing sync sound on projects shot without timecode and/or slating.
- sound editing/foley/composing/final mix on Monotonija, independent feature-length film produced by FaFilma, Latvia.
- sound editing/mix on the films of Mara Ravins: Solace, Matin dans un fôret des pins.
- sound editing for television series: The Future is Wild, Tom Stone, Ignition.
- sound design for iPhone apps.
- database design of film timecode calculators, EDL/offset operations, version control.
- 2000-2003, composing music for corporate video (Wild Thing, Vienna, Austria).
- record/edit/mix/master on Ruth Cassie “Ivan Blackbird’s Story” CD.
- Flash animation/programming on web trailer for Loreena McKennitt CD.
- Flash animation/web programming, web site for Hawksley Workman.
- 2005-2007, various web site projects, design/programming, in Huntsville region.
- add date | Rocky Mountain Express
- add date |Hubble (IMAX 3D)
- add date |Rescue (IMAX 3D)
- add date |Legends Of The Sky
- add date |Ultimate Wave Tahiti
- 2012/05/14 | NEWS: Karl Mohr joins the DGC | After many years of narrowly dodging the proposition, Karl Mohr joins the Directors Guild of Canada in the role of Sound Editor.
- 2012/04/12 | NEWS: Rocky Mountain Express wins Golden Reel award for sound | Details coming soon.Rocky Mountain Express at Stephen Low Company
- 2012/04/02 | NEWS: Double Eyelid “Dead Is Better” in ship shape for video release | Additional music production, mix and master of a great song by Ian Revell, all in preparation for music video release, directed by the young, formidable director Steven Cerritos.Double Eyelid official website
- 2011/11/01 | NEWS: Brian West “I’m A Man” rolls out for Movember | It was a killer but Brian West’s hit single is finally finished and promoting Movember.I’m A Man at Bandcamp
- 2011/08/01 | NEWS: Sound design on IMAX Rocky Mountain Express | Once again, Peter Thillaye supervising the sound design on IMAX Rocky Mountain Express. Karl Mohr using Kontakt and a host of controllers to evoke train and natural sounds. Rocky Mountain Express at Stephen Low Company
- Future is Wild (animated TV series)
- NASCAR the IMAX experience (IMAX 3D) This project won an award.
- Volcanoes of the Deep (IMAX)
- Straight Up! Adventures in Vertical Flight (IMAX)
- Jane Goodall’s Wild Chimpanzees (IMAX)
- Space Station (IMAX 3D) This project won an award.
- Bears (IMAX)
- Cyberworld (IMAX 3D)
- Galapagos the Enchanted Voyage (IMAX 3D PSE)
- Gold Fever (IMAX)
- Wolves (IMAX)
- Wildfire: Feel the Heat (IMAX)
- Mark Twain’s America (IMAX 3D)
- The IMAX Nutcracker (IMAX 3D PSE)
- Paint Misbehavin’ (IMAX 3D)
- L5: First City in Space (IMAX 3D PSE)
Early Years – Sound Editing Work from 1995-2003
- 2003/01/01 | Sound Designer: Produced Hawksley Workman drum sampling CD.
- 2003/01/01 | Sound Editor: Archiving and databasing Hawksley Workman tape masters to digital format.
- 2002/04/01 | Sound Editor: Jane Goodall’s Wild Chimpanzees IMAX
- 2001/11/01 | Sound Editor: Tom Stone CBC television series
- 2001/08/01 | Sound Designer: Lutz Austria internet quiz (agency: Worx New Media Life)
- 2001/04/01 | Sound Editor: Bears IMAX
- 2001/02/01 | Assistant ADR Editor: Ignition TV Series GFT/Redwood/Ignition Films
- 2000/08/01 | Sound Editor: CyberworldIMAX 3D
- 2000/07/01 | Sound Editor: Up Up and Away IMAX (Demo)
- 2000/01/01 | Sound Editor: Volcanoes IMAX (Demo)
- 1999/06/01 | Sound Editor: Galapagos IMAX 3D
- 1999/01/01 | Sound Editor: Cyberworld IMAX 3D (Wireframe Films Demo)
- 1998/11/01 | Assistant Sound Editor: Gold Fever IMAX
- 1998/11/01 | Assistant Sound Editor: Wolves IMAX
- 1998/11/01 | Assistant Film Editor: Omnimax Dome IMAX 3D Film Test
- 1998/10/01 | Assistant ADR Editor: Nightworld Series (Alliance/Atlantis)
- 1998/04/01 | Sound Editor: Wildfire: Feel the Heat IMAX
- 1998/01/01 | Assistant Sound Editor: Mark Twain’s America IMAX 3D
- 1998/01/01 | Sound Effects Editor/Composer: Quaker State TV Ad (Flashcut)
- 1997/09/01 | Assistant Sound Editor: Nutcracker IMAX
- 1997/08/01 | Assistant Sound Editor: Mark Twain, Wildfire, Rodeo IMAX Demos
- 1997/07/01 | Sound Effects Editor/Composer: My Canada (Immersion Studios)
- 1997/06/01 | Sound Effects Editor: Matin dans un fôret des pins (Barracuda Films)
- 1997/05/01 | Audio Conform: Staged (Nemesis Productions, City-TV, A&E)
- 1996/10/01 | Audio Coordinator/Assistant Sound Editor: Mission to Mir IMAX (demo), Mission to Mir IMAX
- 1996/08/01 | Assistant Sound Effects Editor: Mark Twain, House Guests IMAX Demos
- 1996/07/01 | Studio Engineer: Oz Productions, Toronto
- 1996/06/01 | Sound Design: Lighthouse CD-ROM (Face to Face)
- 1996/04/01 | Sound Design: MyCity CD-ROM (I Choose Me)
- 1996/03/01 | Assistant Sound Effects Editor: Cosmic City IMAX
- 1996/02/01 | Assistant to ADR Editor: Kids in the Hall – Brain Candy (Alliance)
- 1996/01/01 | Studio Assistant/Project Promoter Evolution of Musical Organisms: Degazio Sound Design, Toronto
- 1995/07/01 | Engineer/In-House Composer: Studio Belle Image, Laval, Québec
- 1995/05/01 | Digital Audio Editor: Silent Sound Studio, Montréal, Québec
Early Years – Music Composed for Film, Video, Theatre and Multimedia from 1990-2002
- 2002/10/01 | Composed music for A1 Partner Highlight 2002 corporate event video (Wild Thing Productions).
- 2002/10/01 | Composed music for A1 Akademie corporate video (Wild Thing Productions).
- 2002/09/01 | Composed music for Gulet Travel Austria presentation video featuring Microman from Ö3 radio (Wild Thing Productions).
- 2002/08/01 | Composed music for Niederösterreich Preis für Kultur und Wissenschaft presentation video (Wild Thing Productions).
- 2002/06/01 | Composed music, sound effects and Flash programming for Caritas Dioezese Linz Waermestube Stadtpiloten website for Caritas Oberoesterreich. (Collaboration with Patricia Futterer.)
- 2002/06/01 | Composed music and sound design for Pro-Advertising TaxiLight multimedia video (Wild Thing Productions).
- 2001/06/01 | Composed music for Telering Austria promotional banner ad, pitched by Worx New Media Life.
- 2001/06/01 | Composed music, sound effects editing for Bene Austria internet game, pitched by Diamond Dogs.
- 2000/12/01 | Composed Christmas music for KPNQwest Austria Weihnachtskalender Flash application (follow the Portfolio through to the calendar), sub-contracted by WORX New Media Life.
- 1998/01/01 | Composed original soundtrack for Standard Deviation, a feature film by Sam K. Lee.
- 1997/07/01 | Composed original soundtrack material for Matin dans un fôret des pins, a two-hour documentary film about Latvian culture by Mara Ravins and Janis Kalejs, featured in international festivals.
- 1996/02/01 – Composed main title for The Blue Hermaphrodite, a television series exploring sex, sexuality and gender in pop culture (six thirty-minute episodes).
- 1995/11/01 | Composed original music for Mute, an independent feature film by Sam K. Lee.
- 1994/04/01 | Composed two 45 second interludes for Longshots, a documentary produced by Maximage and aired on CBC Newsworld.
- 1994/03/01 | Composed original music and edited audio for Speaking in Tongues, a play by Mike Thibault presented by La Bouche Theatre Company.
- 1994/02/01 | Produced/engineered music for The Onionskin, a dramatic production featured in Direct From Kingston, a festival of independent theatre.
- 1994/01/01 | Composed soundtrack for Chasing the Sun, a film charting the success of the Queen’s Solar Car 1993 and geared towards the promotion of women in engineering.
- 1993/11/01 | Composed soundtrack for Hamlet, a dramatic production presented by Queen’s Drama Department.
- 1993/08/01 | Sound design for The Crackwalker, a professional dramatic production staged at The Grand Theatre, Kingston.
- 1993/04/01 | Composed soundtrack for Writing on the Wall, a student film about graffiti culture.
- 1993/02/01 | Musical segments from Foment (see August 1992) featured in Savage/Love a dramatic production written by Joseph Chaikin/Sam Shepard and directed by Kevin Fraser.
- 1993/02/01 | Composed soundtrack segment for Purple Jesus, a Queen’s University-funded production promoting alcohol awareness among first-year students.
- 1992/12/01 | Composed soundtrack for and directed Halloween, a student video co-produced with Tom Costain dealing with campus hedonism.
- 1992/08/01 | Composed soundtrack for Foment, the world premier of a play by James Purdy, presented by Threshold theatre at the Baby Grand Theatre, Kingston and at the Annex Theatre, Toronto.
- 1992/03/01 | Composed soundtrack for Our Back Yard, a film about Kingston’s garbage crisis.
- 1992/02/01 | Threshold theatre restaged Beautiful Losers at the Theatre Centre, Toronto (see August 1991) using previous soundtrack.
- 1991/12/01 | Composed soundtrack for Dreams and Reminiscence, an experimental video.
- 1991/12/01 |Co-filmmaker and soundtrack composer for Which Part Of No Do You Not Understand? a student video addressing the problem of campus date rape.
- 1991/08/01 | Composed soundtrack for dramatic production of Leonard Cohen’s Beautiful Losers, presented by Threshold theatre, Kingston.
- 1991/04/01 | Composed soundtrack for Holding the Pieces, a dramatic production presented by Threshold theatre.
- 1991/02/01 | Composed soundtrack for Rites of Passage, a controversial student video examining Queen’s University’s orientation practices.
- 1989/11/01 | Composed soundtrack for Tip of the Iceberg, a student video about family violence.
Awards & Nominations
Karl Mohr has had the pleasure to be part of the Thillaye Productions sound team, garnering a significant number of awards and nominations in the realm of sound editing/sound design. Here are the awards which included Karl Mohr as an active member:
- 2017/08/22 Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival Awards, Nomination, Best Audioscape: Amazon Adventure.
- 2011 MPSE Golden Reel Awards: Nomination, Best Sound Editing: Special Venue: Under the Sea 3D.
- 2010 Giant Screen Cinema Association: Nomination, Best Sound: Ultimate Wave 3D.
- 2010 Giant Screen Cinema Association: Nomination, Best Sound: Hubble 3D.
- 2010 International Wildlife Film Festival: Finalist, Honorable Mention Award for Sound Design: Under the Sea 3D.
- 2009 Daytime Emmy: Nomination, Best Sound, Children’s Series: The Future is Wild.
- 2005 Golden Reel Awards: Other Categories, Sound Editing in a Special Venue Film: NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience (sound designer).
- 2004 Giant Screen Theatre Association Film Achievement Awards, Best Sound 2004, NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience (sound designer).
The following awards were won separately from Thillaye Productions:
- 2007 Moscow Film Festival: “Perspectives” Award, Best Film: Monotonija Fa Filma, Latvia (Karl Mohr was sound mixer, audio postproduction, music composition).
- 1994 Istvan Award, Queen’s University, for excellence in electroacoustic composition.
- 1992 Canadian Student Showcase, Jean Oser Award for excellence in documentary filmmaking: with Chris Grismer for Which Part Of No Do You Not Understand?
Tape Life Records
Inspired by the likes of Skinny Puppy, Yello, The Art Of Noise, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Dead Or Alive, Karl Mohr started recording his own musical experiments to cassette tape in 1987. Since 1988, Karl Mohr has sold his music through various mail order operations of his own design, alongside his professional work. In 2015, Tape Life Records was born, re-releasing a curated subset of the Karl Mohr catalog in a new way.
Resources & Links
THIS IS THE OLD RECOMMENDED LINKS PAGE.